The error code 0x80070426 occurs when the users upgrade Window 10 from a lower version of Windows like Windows 7, 8, or 8.1. During the upgrade, Microsoft Security Essentials is removed and Windows Defender is installed in its place.
In this case, sometimes users may face the issue of error code 0x80070426. Users think about how to fix error code 0x80070426. There are many ways through users can get rid of this issue. First, let’s see what error code 0x80070426 Windows 10 is.
Steps To Fix Error code 0x80070426
This error occurs when Windows Defender fails to replace Windows 10 essentials. There are many ways in which this problem can be resolved. In this article, we will discuss those solutions.
Run SFC Scan
Since the error 0x80070426 has occurred during the upgrade so this means that there is a problem in the PC. In order to check this, it is better to run SFC. Here are the steps to run the command.
- Click the Search icon in the taskbar and type cmd.
- Right-click Command Prompt and click as Administrator.
- Type the command dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and press Enter.
- If the Microsoft security client error code has appeared while upgrading, then type this command dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth /source:[DRIVE]:\sources\sxs /limitaccess. Note that in the place of Drive, write the drive name on which Windows media is located.
- Press Enter.
- After the command is executed the command sfc /scannow and press Enter.
- Restart the computer after the command is processed.
See also What Is OEM Windows? How It Is Different From The Retail Version Of Windows?
The error code 0x80070426 can occur due to software conflicts so the user needs to check whether any other program is interfering with it or not. In order to do this, the user need to do a clear boot. Here are the steps that the user should follow.
- Press Windows key + R to launch the Run dialog box.
- Type msconfiig and press Enter.
- Go to the services tab and make sure that Hide all Microsoft services is selected.
- Click Disable All Button.
- Go to the Startup Tab.
- Click Open Task Manager.
- Disable all the items by right-clicking each one.
- Exit Task Manager.
- Click OK
- Restart the computer.
Check if the code is still displaying. If the error is not shown, then go to system configuration and enable a startup item. Restart the computer to check the error again.
Perform enabling the startup items and restarting the computer toll the error is found again.
Remove the startup item due to which the error is being caused.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Since the issue has happened due to Windows upgrade, so it is better to use built-in troubleshooter. Here are the steps, which a user has to follow in order to get rid of the error.
- Press Window Key + I and launch the Settings App.
- Look for Updates and Security and click it.
- Select Troubleshoot, which is available on the left pane.
- Now click Run the Troubleshooter button.
- Instructions will be displayed which the user has to follow to resolve the problem.
Reset Windows Update Components
There are some components, which have been corrupted and this can lead to the error. If the user resets all the services, he can get rid of the problem. The user has to reset all the files and folders related to Windows Update.
- Run Command Prompt as Administrator.
- Type the following one by one and press Enter.
- net stop bits
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop appidsvc
- net stop cryptsvc
- Run the commands below one by one.
- ren %systemroot%\softwaredistribution softwaredistribution.old
- ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
- Restart the disabled services by pressing enter after each line.
- net start bits
- net start wuauserv
- net start appidsvc
- net start cryptsvc
- Install the updates to check whether Wi9ndows Defender has been updated without any issues.
See also Windows 10 Automatically Lowers Volume On My Device
Set the Windows Update to start automatically
If the user has configured the update not to run automatically, this can also be the cause of the issue. Users to set the Windows Update to start automatically and here are the steps.
- Run Command prompt as Administrator.
- Run the following commands one by one.
SC config bits start= auto
SC config cryptsvc start= auto
SC config trustedinstaller start= auto
SC config wuauserv start= auto
- Exit the Command Prompt.
- Restart the computer.
Update Device Drivers
The system can have outdated drivers which can be the cause of the problem. Users should update the drivers and then again update the system and check if the issue is occurring or not. You can use driver pack solutions to update the drivers to its latest versions.
If the upgrade is still creating a problem, users should do a clean install. Before that, they have to store the entire data ion the system into a removable drive so that there is no data loss.
List Of Best Pop Up Blocker For Firefox- Improve Your Browsing Experience
‘DNS Address Could Not Be Found’ Error [Resolved]
WLAN Extensibility Module Has Stopped! Know How To Fix.
What Is Mrtstub.EXE File? Know The Details Of The File!